Thursday, June 12, 2014

Josh Boersma's Fashion Evolution

What an adorable Target shopper.

As I promised here, Josh's fashion is making it's debut on the blog today.

Yesterday when I read him this paragraph:

"I have a pretty excellent post coming later this week...I'm calling it Josh's Boersma's Fashion Evolution" chronicling Josh's fashion sense through the years. There will be throwback pictures and beards and Ankeny t-shirts and athletic sorts...it should be a good time."

He responded by saying, "You just wrote it. That's pretty much all there is to say."

When I'm complain to Josh's mom, Patti, about how he fights me when I suggest wearing dress pants to a funeral, nice jeans for a date night, or a collared shirt to church, she sympathetically looks and me and says, "Mollie, I tried. I tried to raise him right." And she really did. But as a mom of three boys, Josh was by far the hardest to dress...so at some point, she stopped fighting him for wearing athletic shorts and Switchfoot t-shirts to church because...why.

I've fully come to understand what his parents mean when they say to their daughters-in-law, "He's your problem now!"

Let's take a look, shall we?

In high school this was Josh's signature look:


I think this is post-high school, but you get the idea. Shorts, t-shirt. Tennis shoes. And that. Headband. I wanted to die over his obsession with that headband.

This was Josh's common, everyday, hanging out with the guys look circa 2007. But he considered this ensemble to be timeless, as he wore it from approx. 2004-2009.
That would be a dirty old American Eagle hat signed by Jon Foreman (or someone?) and a Switchfoot concert tee. Classic Josh.

Meet college Josh...the early years:
Here we have a grungy state cross country, long-sleeved tee and he went for a layered look. This was fall, so it was necessary to add the sleeveless John Deere tee as well as the signature baseball cap.

Another outfit put together by college Josh: 
Those light blue athletic shorts are a staple for Josh to this day. We had been dating for about three months when Josh took this trip with his bros. There are other pictures from this trip on Facebook that I'm not sure are appropriate for anyone's eyes. So I left some of his camping fashion off the blog.  Notice how adorable he is in MNW gear? 

Then this happened...in which I said vows promising the rest of my life to this man and his fashion choices:
June 19th, 2010

It's taken four years, but this is Josh's work/play outfit:

BLC hoodie + jeans + new Nike hat...coordinated, clean (ish), comfortable.
He's so low maintenance...somehow he actually comes full circle and is high maintenance.

We've had some slip-ups:
Josh sporting his Christmas-jammie-velvet-boxers OVER his jeans.


And this happened, but only once:
Carving pumpkins Halloween 2012.

Like I said, he is still sporting these trusty light blue athletic shorts:
Iowans: The few. The proud. The extremely attractive.

Josh loves plaid and flannel more than anything. Which makes slipping new pieces into his wardrobe here and there pretty simple. In fact there have been times when I've taken the tag off something, he's worn it once or twice, and the third time he puts it on before church he looks at me (annoyed) and says, "IS THIS NEW?!"

I confess, these were a Christmas gift from me last year. He can't help it he's this adorable in Christmas jammies.

He loves things that are soft so I bought two of these sweaters, one black and one brown and totally got away with it:

And this is what my little business-owner wears from November to February when he's hangin' at home, workin' on the computer, grilling in blizzards, and generally loving life:
Hoodie and gray sweats that are approx. 14 years old, and ripped at the bottom (my next mission in life is replacing those).

A week ago I took Jamie and Josh (two of the world's worst shoppers) to Kohl's to find Father's Day gifts and work shorts for Josh. We'd been in the store for all of five minutes and they were both already whining (to those who may think I'm not prepared for motherhood...you have no idea how well these two have prepared me). I had to move fast so I grabbed five pairs of work shorts for Josh to try on, along with an ADORABLE pair of royal blue Docker dress shorts, and a plaid button-up shirt that was on the sale rack. We tried them all on, and Josh gave me a resounding 'no' to the 'yact club' outfit I'd put together. I said he was getting one or the other so he had to pick.

He picked the plaid button-up and seriously. How cute.
It's scary, but I somehow know exactly what shopping with our future teenage sons will be like. 

I'm going to go out on a limb here and take full credit for Josh's new (ish) and improved wardrobe. So even though he walked out the door in his ADIDAS athletic sandals instead of his American Eagle flip flops and I didn't catch him until we were down the street and headed to church (it was completely inappropriate for church but he's a work in progress)...there is no one else I would rather argue with in the Kohl's dressing room but Josh Boersma.

MmB




No comments:

Post a Comment